Thanks to advances in medical science, the length of stay for some procedures and treatments has been reduced from a one- or multi-day admissions to just a few hours. This allows the patient to leave the hospital the same day.
To prepare you as best as possible for such a day clinic stay, you will find some points of interest below, which you can take into account.
Choice of room
For your admission, you have the choice between:
- a single room
- a shared room
Your choice of room will not affect the level of care you will receive.
The standard room is a shared room, which can only be changed if you specifically request a different room type.If you would like a single room, please notify the Registration Department in advance when you book your room.
If your desired room type is not available, you will get a phone call the day before your hospital admission and we will work with you to find an alternative.
If you want to change your room type during your stay, you have to confirm this in writing.
If you request to stay in a single room (private room) you will have to pay a higher room supplement. A supplementary fee may be charged for the services of physicians and allied health professionals as well. More information
What to expect during your hospital stay
For a scheduled admission, please contact our Hospital Admission and Registration Department T 02 - 257 56 20 - every working day from 7 AM to 6 PM and on Saturdays between 1 PM and 5 PM. They will book your room.
On the day of your hospital admission, go to one of our kiosks - in our Gendarmeriestraat location - at the appointed time. You will need to use your electronic identity card to sign in. Afterwards, please go over to the Registration Department, at the entrance of the Gendarmeriestraat location, where the administrative aspects of your admission will be completed. Changes of address, phone number, GP or health insurance should then be communicated to the registration staff.The hospital will automatically inform your mutual health fund about your hospital stay.
The Hospital Admission and Registration Department will create an administrative file. It is also where you can confirm your choice of room and will be informed of any supplements.
Since 1 September 2004, you are required to sign an "Opnameverklaring/Admission Statement" (RD of 17 June 2004). Our staff will go over this document with you and give you the necessary explanation.
For all hospital admissions, you will be asked to pay an advance.
What to bring
- Your identity card
- Sticker or certificate from your mutual health fund
- Phone number of your home or a contact person (e.g., family member, neighbour, etc.)
- Name and address of your general practitioner
- Do not forget that you have to make an advance payment
- Commitment to pay from the OCMW (Public Welfare Service) or a health insurance company
- DKV card, Assurcard, letter from Medi-Assistance (Axa, Fortis, Winterthur), Medi-Link (Van Breda)
- Non-Belgians, EU residents: European health insurance card or E112
- Non-Belgians, non-EU residents: insurance documents:
- Name and address of the employer
- Number of insurance policy for accidents at work
- Number of the insurance case file
- Date and time of the accident
For your medical records:
- The medical documents you have: GP's referral letter, radiographs, results of previous examinations, blood group chart, ...
- The medication you are taking
For your stay:
- Comfortable clothes
- For children: familiar toys, e.g., stuffed animal
Do not bring jewelry or other valuables to the hospital. Also, don't take more money than you need (e.g. only for the deposit and for any small personal expenses). If something is lost or stolen, the hospital is not responsible.
After your hospital stay, you will be sent the bill for the costs at home. AZ Jan Portaels applies the third payer scheme. This means that the mutual insurance company or other insurance company will get the bill for those parts that they will reimburse. Please do not hesitate to contact (in advance) our billing department on 02 257 55 31 or via e- mail facturatie [at] azjanportaels.be